Not to be confused with predatory lending, mortgage fraud is a fraud against the financial institution committed by the borrower in order to obtain a loan. When borrowers engage in the following actions, they may be subject to mortgage fraud investigation and/or prosecution:
- Reporting higher than actual income in order to qualify for a larger loan.
- Stating occupancy will be for residence when the property is for investment purposes.
- Failing to disclose liabilities owed.
- Deliberately overstating the value of property’s appraisal.
- Simultaneously taking out multiple loans for the same property.
Recently, more aggressive prosecution of mortgage fraud has been occurring at both the state and federal levels. If you are under investigation or have been accused of misrepresentation or deception involving a mortgage loan, obtain legal help as soon as possible.
Our attorneys at Sands & Moskowitz, P.A. will review your situation and provide appropriate legal advice and representation. Please call our office at 305-529-3733 or send us an email so we can arrange a time to discuss your concerns.